Monday, November 5, 2012

Blog Six: Harriet Jacobs

I was going to write about Fanny Fern and indulge in a little man-hating, but I changed my mind. I decided to write about how much I admire this lady instead. 

As I was reading her story, I was feeling shock at many of the things she experienced, but I was also learning every single life lesson I could glean. 



If I had been in her shoes, I'm afraid I might have turned out to be an absolute loony toon. Crazy. Can you imagine the amount of spiritual and mental stamina she had to possess to survive what she did? How could you get through having your family, whether blood or not, ripped away from you (family plays a hug part in most peoples identity)? Sexual slavery (which is how I viewed the positions she was put in)? You don't own yourself. You're not a person, you're property. Oh, and then you have to lay in a hole for seven years (approx.) and think about it. After your mental health has been strangled by all of that, you spend the next few years just surviving. 

She managed to preserve herself and not only survive, but make a free life for herself AND her children. Then had the courage to write it all out; the good and the bad parts of herself and everything that happened to her.

When you feel like your life is a massive train wreck, you just need to keep surviving like this dear lady did.  

 "But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me." 

1 Corinthians 15:10




No comments:

Post a Comment